The Dangers of DIY Mold Removal to your Health and Property -

Mold & Water - Restoration & Cleanup

24/7 Emergency Services

Palm Beach:(561)203-4911
Broward:(954)248-3343
Fort Myers:(239)227-2372

The Dangers of DIY Mold Removal to your Health and Property

The Dangers of DIY Mold Removal to your Health and Property

Mold that grows on buildings and inside homes is not only unsightly and destructive to your property, it is dangerous to your health. Mold damages any surface where it grows and will spread if not thoroughly removed. Eliminating mold can be tricky, as any overlooked trace continues to release spores that will cause the fungus to come back. In addition, removing mold is hazardous, and requires protective equipment so as to avoid inhalation of spores into the lungs. After understanding the process, you might consider using a professional mold removal company vs. DIY mold removal.

Mold remediation is a multi-stage process, requiring:

  • Identification of the mold location
  • Mold removal by thorough scrubbing using solvents
  • Complete drying of the affected area/s
  • Repair of the source and/or remediation of the conditions causing mold
  • Restoration

Most importantly, mold left untreated will worsen, affecting the health of people and pets living and working near it.

What Is Mold

Molds, of which there are thousands of species, are microbes. We only can see mold, with our naked eye, when it has established itself in large colonies. Molds reproduce by generating spores that take up residence on organic matter. They feed by secreting enzymes that degrade their host material. Allowing mold to grow destroys your property and harms your health.

Dangers to Health

Many people are highly sensitive to the presence of mold. They experience respiratory symptoms and allergic reactions that can worsen over time. These can range in severity:

  • Stuffy nose
  • Irritated eyes and skin
  • Wheezing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Difficulty breathing

Even more seriously, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mold infections of the lungs can develop in people with weakened immune systems or chronic lung diseases. Indoor air quality is important to the well-being of yourself, your family, and your employees. And if you are sensitive to mold, DIY mold removal is probably not a good idea.

How Mold Spreads

Mold spores surround us, suspended in the air, including indoors. This only becomes a problem when moisture and lack of ventilation provide optimal conditions for these floating spores to settle, take hold, and multiply. Mold often appears in bathrooms, under sinks, and in damp, dark places, such as closets and storage spaces. It grows on organic material, such as:

  • Wood
  • Tile
  • Glass
  • Porcelain
  • Paper
  • Fabric

Mold can cause irreparable damage to keepsake items, such as photo albums, books, clothing, and toys. It ruins any material on which it grows.

Even when you can’t see any mold, warning signs indicate that it is there. These include discoloration, such as a ceiling stain, bubbling or roughness of paint or plaster, and, most noticeably, a damp or dank odor. Persistent condensation on windows is another hint that conditions for mold exist. Buildings that have been flooded or where roof or pipe leaks have allowed water to soak into walls, floors, and carpets are especially susceptible to mold. As a result, you should investigate any of these indicators in your building or home. And eradicate the problem to preserve your property and your health.

Mold Removal

Removing mold is a multi-stage process. You will need protective equipment, toxic solvents, and specialized knowledge. Safety equipment includes rubber gloves and boots, goggles, and an N-95 mask covering both nose and mouth.

The first step is cleaning. Bleach is an effective cleaning agent, but it emits strong fumes. Use it only in well-ventilated areas. Where you can’t open windows, you will need a powerful fan. Also, when working with bleach, be careful never to mix it with ammonia or other cleaners. Dilute it with water using the correct ratio—no more than one cup of bleach per gallon of water. Scrub the affected area thoroughly. Then, after you remove all traces of mold, leave the cleaned material to dry completely. You can put removable items, such as carpets and furniture, in the sun to dry. Finally, areas inside the building will need a lot of ventilation, often requiring the use of industrial fans.

Because it is essential that all fungus is completely eliminated, DIY mold removal might be risky. Consider bringing in professionals, who are qualified to identify the source of the problem and fix it.

Advantages of Using a Professional vs DIY Mold Removal

A professional mold remediation company will provide guaranteed cleanup, repair, and restoration, including emergency service. Because mold removal is a complicated and hazardous project, it must be carried out safely and in stages. Professional services offer:

  • Mold inspection and testing
  • Mold removal
  • Leak detection
  • Water removal (in case of flooding)
  • Water damage repair
  • Restoration

In conclusion, professionals have the equipment and experience to make sure every trace of mold is gone. Furthermore, they will address the conditions that caused it to grow. So don’t risk DIY mold removal for serious mold problems. Look for a company that guarantees its work, handles insurance claims for you, and has contractors on staff to complete restoration of your building or home. Be safe and breathe easy. 

Case Studies

The Kitchen Ceiling Problem

We received a call from a homeowner that was distraught as he had just walked into his rental property and was seeing mold and water damage up on the ceiling. His tenants had moved out a few days before and when he went in to inspect the property he noticed a musty odor throughout as […]

Water Damage from Water Heater

A water heater line broke and damaged the walls, floors, and kitchen cabinets. We came in and repaired the drywall, cabinets, and flooring in the kitchen and two adjacent rooms.

Shower Floor Leak

We got a call that a homeowner was having issues in and around their shower in their bathroom. They had an older home and it was wood construction so we feared the worst. When we got into the bathroom it was as we had feared: the leaks went through the tile into the walls and […]